At the end of each month at FIT4MOM Marin, we celebrate our members birthdays with our Monthly Kids Birthday Club. Since our little ones and mommies are already sweet enough, I love coming up with healthier options for a healthy treat eliminating white flours, sugar and other highly processed ingredients. Instead, I use more nutrient dense flours and natural whole food sweeteners. In this recipe I used quinoa flour, coconut flour and sweetened with maple syrup.
This cupcake recipe is of my favorite go to recipes. It originates from Nutiva’s Coconut Flour packaging. I've tried many variations with different flours, fruits and berries. As a variation you may switch out the banana with any other of your other favorite fruits or berries. Choose organic and fresh produce whenever possible. I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Yield: 24 mini cupcakes
½ cup coconut Flour
½ cup quinoa Flour
½ tsp himalayan sea salt
½ tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
½ cup organic maple syrup
1 cup coconut milk
4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
4 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp chia seeds
2 fork mashed ripe bananas
Ingredients Custard Topping:
1 cup young coconut meat
¼ cup or less to taste maple syrup
1tsp fresh lemon juice
How to make Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Sift the coconut and quinoa flour, salt, baking powder and soda in a large bowl.
3. In a separate medium bowl or blend, whisk maple syrup, coconut milk , eggs, coconut oil and vanilla.
4. Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix in chia seeds.
5. Fold in the mashed bananas and stir.
6. Pour batter into greased mini muffin almost full.
7. Bake for 25 minutes until muffins begin to turn golden brown and cooked through.
8. Remove from tins immediately and let cool.
How to make Custard Topping:
1. In a high powered blender add coconut meat, sweetener, and lemon juice.
2. Process until smooth and thick.
4. Let custard cool and thicken in refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. Add a dollop onto each cupcake right before serving.
6. Decorate with cut up strawberries or other preferred fruit.
7. Serve & Enjoy!